Friday, November 26, 2010

learning the art of revision

As I was trying out blog titles, I googled "revision" and found this:
Revision literally means to "see again," to look at something from a fresh, critical perspective. It is an ongoing process of rethinking the paper: reconsidering your arguments, reviewing your evidence, refining your purpose, reorganizing your presentation, reviving stale prose. (via here)
I like the idea of a re-do, of the draft. Second chances (and third and fourth) are what lives well-lived are built on. I'm more convinced every day. The purpose of this blog isn't to get it perfect, but to learn the art of revision.

*****

I have hopes for this blog.

One: The writing and subject matter won't become self-absorbed. The content will be shared from personal values and interests and experiences. But it will be something people can relate to, find new (or revisited) truth in, can find their own story in.

Two: I'll write more as a result. I'll work on style, try things out, play a little.

Welcome. Won't you help me revise?

No comments:

Post a Comment