Saturday, December 18, 2010

#reverb10 day 18: try

#rever10 day 18: Try. What do you want to try next year? Is there something you wanted to try in 2010? What happened when you did / didn’t go for it?

By nature, I'm not one to try new things eagerly. I find comfort in the familiar. I prefer staying home to going out. I often choose close friends over meeting new people. I like to know my boundaries and stay within them. I like it safe.

But, mercifully, life has involved a lot of trying new things. I wouldn't have likely chosen many of these things on my own, but they've been woven into a fabric of discovery, of learning, and of periodical failure, all enriching life tremendously. Now I choose to try things, if tentatively, knowing that I need to keep these muscles loose. Trying requires flexibility, perseverance, practice, and being a learner -- all values of mine, all traits I want in greater measure.

My new "try" adventure feels big to me. It'll require a lot if I'm to really give it a good go. And there's a very good chance I'll be no good at it. But that's ok.

I want to try swimming.

A few months back, after running a half-marathon, I read a blog post about a woman who had made it her goal to complete a sprint triathlon. Something moved inside me and I thought, I want to do that. One small obstacle is that I have never in my life swum laps. And so my first step is to learn to swim distances. Or to try, at least.

1 comment:

  1. What a great try!! This especially resonates with me - I grew up swimming competitively and even did in college. I support you 100% and believe you'll find something magical about being in the water!

    ReplyDelete