Saturday, December 4, 2010

#reverb10 day 4: looking at the sky

#reverb10 day 4: Wonder. How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year?

wonder (n.) a feeling of surprise and admiration that you have when you see or experience something beautiful, unusual or unexpected

I kept trying to get them to lie on the grass with me. Maybe it was because I was tired. I had just flown from the west coast to the east, an all-day affair, then took Andrew and Natalie to the park while their parents went to a school open house. First we did the swings, then we played Jonah and the Whale, then tag -- up the stairs, down the slide, under the jungle gym, screaming the whole time. I loved this play, loved seeing their imagination at work, loved seeing their new tricks and how daring they can be at trying new things.

But I just wanted to lie on the grass, just wanted to look at the sky.

Natalie finally agreed. Andrew still wanted to run, and I figured if he saw us on the grass together he might come over eventually -- and it worked. So I got on my back, and Natalie snuggled close to me.

"What do you see?" I asked her.

And we started our list: clouds, tree limbs, leaves. Then we saw the smaller things, farther away things, and the things that are so obvious sometimes we miss them. The birds dancing in a wide waltz between the trees. The faintest image of the moon starting to show. Blue that went on forever.

I closed my eyes and breathed in. Sometimes we become aware of how complex life really is, once we get out of our daily routine and stand at a distance. There was this trip and my family and how intensely I miss home sometimes. And there my running injury and the half-marathon I had trained hard for bu likely wouldn't run in a few days. And there was a man. There was disappointment and confusion and joy all mixed together.

Like looking at the sky.

After a few minutes, Natalie was up and wanted another go at the monkey bars. So the chasing continued. But we had our few moments of sky-gazing, of seeing things we never expected to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment