Sunday, December 5, 2010

#reverb10 day 5: the good in letting go

#reverb10 day 5: Let Go. What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why?

Warning: slightly stream of consciousness...

I'm having trouble starting this one, but not for lack of having let go. My first idea was a list. And it wouldn't be a short one. But that's not to brag, because life is just as much about letting go as it is about gaining things. In the Bible, Job famously says, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return there; the Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord."

But the thing I really want to write about is this relationship that I let go of -- or really, I want to talk about how it's ok to let go of people we love. You see, I don't let go of relationships very easily. Loyalty is a high value to me. But there's something about relationships that I'm learning. Namely, that some aren't meant to last a lifetime. (Have you all learned this already? Am I terribly far behind?)

I won't divulge much about this particular friendship here. But I will say that I love this friend deeply. There are beautiful things that she offered me in our friendship that I didn't receive anywhere else. She has spoken words to me that I still hold on to as very precious, words that God wanted me to hear. She affirmed me and cared for me during some really difficult times. And through our friendship I was awakened to creativity, girliness, and intuition in a new way.

But the truth is that we've started journeying down some pretty different paths, places we can't, or won't, walk with each other. I think we've both come to accept this, and we've made our peace in our own ways. It's challenged me to hold on to the good that was our friendship but only for a time, to recognize that God placed her in my life for a specific season, but that season is over. Does this make sense?

One of the treasures of this process has been sharing this burden of letting go with others around me and finding that they've gone down the same road, or that they're walking alongside me in their own process. We aren't really alone even when we think we are.

Another treasure is finding that I'm becoming different about relationships. Maybe it's that letting go of something creates a needed distance for us in other areas, too, realizing that nothing is ours to keep forever.

2 comments:

  1. I love your post! You had some great insight on the fact that yes, we do have some people that come in our lives that we have to let go when we start going down different paths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree, great post. Betsy, it feels like your writing in this blog is different from previous blog-writing. I can't quite put my finger on it...but what I've read so far seems very natural and real. I'm enjoying it!

    Also, I resonate with the life lessons here. Also felt relieved to learn this year that it's okay to have friendships last for certain seasons. (Might have heard that from the same source as you.)
    : )

    ReplyDelete