Monday, December 6, 2010

#reverb10 day 6: making and being made

First, a little blog business: a HUGE thanks to all of you who are reading and especially to those who have left comments. I haven't responded to any, but I've been super encouraged that some of you have connected to the posts. I'm still figuring out how I'll respond to folks who comment here, but I didn't want your sentiments to go unrecognized until I figure that out.


#reverb10 day 6: Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?

For a dear friend's baby shower this past weekend, I made a card and included a print out of a super cute baby celebration print that I've ordered to be made after her little sweet-stuff is born. Anthropologie catalogues are my favorite for inspiration -- color, texture, images -- so I used part of a photo of a sweater to create a pattern on the card. Then, to go with the theme of the gift and the thoughtfulness and care the parents are putting into choosing a name, I wrote on the front the last line of Isaiah 43:1: "I have called you by name, you are mine."

I'm always drawn to paper goods. I think it has to do with their practical nature mixed with the potential for a bit of beauty, and the fact that they are meant for communication -- something I'm becoming more and more passionate about. During and after college, making cards and envelopes was my prime creative outlet. In fact, card-making was in part how I discovered that I was creative. (Maybe more on that in another post.) In a recent mondo beyondo list I made, I named creating and selling a line of cards as a dream of mine. Someday...

A few other random thoughts about making:
  • My friend Charissa writes a blog about gift-wrapping and has composed some insightful entries about why we make. Definitely worth checking out.
  • I'm in San Francisco on a short work trip right now. What an inspiring place to think more about making -- so much of it going on around here.
  • This morning, as part of my advent practice, I read Psalm 148. The first few verses talk about nature praising God "for he commanded and they were created." I've been reflecting today about what it means to praise God simply because He created me, because I am one who is made.

1 comment:

  1. oh goodness, you love paper, too? i adore paper. sometimes i just buy it cause i like it without even knowing what i'll use it for. sigh.

    ReplyDelete