Thursday, December 9, 2010

#reverb10 day 9: thirty came exactly as it should

#reverb10 day 9: Party. What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans.

At one point during the night I thought, I should have some photos of this.

I didn't want it to, but Thirty was becoming an increasingly Big Deal to me. There are so many conventions about what life should hold at this milestone and mine held none -- or so it seemed to me. Still, I knew I had reason to celebrate big, in my own way.

I never did take a photo; I was having too much fun.

But imagine this:

Our long dining room table full of pizza toppings -- cheeses and roasted veggies, bacon, chicken, and proscuitto, herbs and sauces. And balls of pizza dough. Trays, soon crisped with burnt cheese, cutting boards and plates and napkins. It got messy but the best parties do, right? I opened the bottle of wine I'd been saving from my trip to Napa, and friends brought bottles more, all open and flowing. A cake or two. Friends, children, even a dog, from our dining room out the french doors to the front lawn. Music curated from the 80's and 90's, one for each year of my life. A few gifts; dear friends gathered from my six years here; thoughts of family and friends who couldn't be a part of the celebration but who are always close to my heart.

These details made it memorable. But I suppose any photos of the night probably wouldn't have captured what it was I really wanted to remember years from now: the sense that life is unfolding as it should. Thirty didn't come too soon or with too little force or too few accompaniments or accomplishments, but exactly as it was meant to. It came in the middle of a messy, music-filled Friday night, surrounded by food and friends and love. Oh, and that wine.

2 comments:

  1. ": the sense that life is unfolding as it should". that's gotta be the best birthday present ever! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like an amazing night!

    ReplyDelete