Tuesday, February 15, 2011

post-it quotes: i need these reminders


Post-it quotes is a new series. Each week I'll feature a new quote that's made it's way to a post-it note on my computer at work, combining two of my loves -- wise words and post-it notes -- with my desire to stay focused and develop excellence at my work and craft.



"No one ever said it would be easy." - Annie Dillard.

I didn't know how perfectly placed this one was when I taped it to the top of my monitor. It was for spatial reasons that I chose that exact position -- I already had one on the bottom and a few on one side. Turns out, when I'm looking for a word or scrolling through phrases in my head, my eyes look up. And there is the reminder. No one ever said it would be easy...

It's not just writing. It's a lot of things, but mostly it's believing that I belong here -- at my job, at my desk, with that title beside my name. I would guess that, if we're honest with ourselves, a lot of us feel this way when we do new, difficult things. There is a lot that would argue that we don't belong, and no one ever said that battle would be easy.

It begs the question, why do I always go for what's easy? These words are a reminder that, from the beginning, I wasn't signing up for easy this time, even though that was an option. (But was it really? Where would that take me?) Difficult, refining, hard work -- this is what I signed up for. And no one ever said it would be easy.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder! Have you added any new post-its since this blog post?

    ReplyDelete