Thursday, March 3, 2011

post it quotes: the first draft


I read The Old Man and the Sea in ninth grade. I clearly remember sitting in the school cafeteria during study hall wondering why I was reading about a man going fishing. I didn't get it. My mind wandered -- probably to what mascara to buy or when I would next see George, my crush. (My appreciation for literature came late, folks. I blame that on the Babysitter's Club series.)

Still, it's a relief to know that even Hemingway had shitty first drafts.

And remembering that it's shit helps me be a little less defensive/hurt/hopeless when that first draft comes back all marked up. It means practicing being a learner, receiving critique as a gift, and working hard. Good things, all.

Next on my to-read list: Hemingway. Any favorites out there?

******
Post-it quotes is a new series. Each week I'll feature a new quote that's made it's way to a post-it note on my computer at work, combining two of my loves -- wise words and post-it notes -- with my desire to stay focused and develop excellence at my work and craft.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Betsy - I'm working on a draft of an article for the Caltech Women's Club Bulletin (due Fri!). This actually came to mind while looking at 3 potential beginnings for the piece...trying not to sweat it but just get something written to polish up later!

    ReplyDelete