Wednesday, May 25, 2011

moving

What strikes me is how physical the act of writing is, or ought to be. For me, writing isn't just sitting at a desk and willing words to flow in some grace-filled order. To get my thoughts, ideas, words moving, I often need to move myself.

Some other writers do the same. They run. Drive. Take a bath. Clean.

And something I love about how these writers express what inspires them is that they believe in the truth of metaphor. Driving on a highway, for example, is a moving picture of progessing past hindrances -- and not just a picture, it actually has the power to take us forward past creative roadblocks in some real, internal way if we let it.

What about you? What physical acts flow into some sort of creative manifestation -- especially when you're feeling stuck?


No comments:

Post a Comment