Thursday, June 2, 2011

post-it quotes: the primary benefit

IMG-20110601-00015

"The primary benefit of practicing any art, whether well or badly, is that it enables one's soul to grow." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (I forget where I found this one...)

I know a lot of people say that life is about the journey, but I am a results kind of gal. Give me a Saturday and I'll make a list of errands and chores to check off -- and if I'm not careful, the checking off will be one of the most enjoyable part of my day.

This is one reason why practicing creativity is good for me. Though I still love to get to a finished product, creating is so engaging that I usually experience something good from the process. Eating is fun, but so it chopping vegetables and maneuvering through a new recipe. I'm experimenting with water color, and while my results aren't museum-worthy, there are so many ways to play with the paint and paper that I can sometimes get over the crappy results. (Sometimes.)

My results-orientation can take hold and give me a good shake at work, accusing me, "who are you if they don't end up using the proposal or your copy is revised into something completely different or ... " Certainly not a writer, is the implication. Legitimate writing is required if I'm call myself a writer with any credibility. At work, being creative and playing with words can be overlooked or even become a chore unless I choose to remember this wise advice -- that the real reason I write or do anything creative is to grow.

Here's a quick list of ways I know I grow through creating:
  • I grow to be more like my Creator.
  • I grow in courage when I face an empty page and attempt to fill it. (Check out this recent post by my friend on this subject.)
  • I grow louder in voice as I learn to express my unique perspective and my stories.
  • I grow in self-awareness and in my understanding of the world around me when I describe what I see and feel.
  • I grow in love for people around me when I express my feelings for them through creating for them.
What are your blocks to creating, "whether well or badly"? How do you see yourself growing when you move past these blocks? I'd love to hear!

******
Post-it quotes is a series. Each post features a new quote that's made it's way to a post-it note on my computer at work, combining two of my loves -- wise words and post-it notes -- with my desire to stay focused and develop excellence at my work and craft.

1 comment:

  1. I like this one. It's a good reminder that there is value in practicing, not just in a perfect outcome. And I think this quote speaks to why making art of any kind is so refreshing - our souls may just be growing as we do so!

    I get blocked in creating when I spend too much time looking at what others have made (the internet obviously makes this way too easy). Hm, a good reminder that I turned on the computer to blog, not browse sewing websites!!

    ReplyDelete