Wednesday, July 6, 2011

small beginnings

courtesy of Crossfit 626

Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin... -Zechariah 4:10.

In April my housemates and I started attending a community crossfit gathering every Saturday morning. These workouts are intense. I've been doing yoga and running for a few years now, but these seem like child's play when you are faced with 100 burpees. Especially when you can only really properly do, like, two. Those first few sessions were killer. Who am I kidding, they still are.

And yet I see progress. My arms are stronger, my mind is stronger and my endurance for strength training is increasing. As you can see in the photo above, my form still isn't great, but I'm doing it.

This week I'm starting a creative writing class, one I signed up for with much anticipation. Now I feel insecure and a dull ache of dread whenever I think about my writing assignments and the ideas that have been percolating. It's because I know my beginning will be very small. Like doing two burpees in the face of the 100 required. But you have to start somewhere... This photo and scripture are my inspiration for my beginning.

Oh, and for sticking with those burpees.

(Photo courtesy of Crossfit626.)

2 comments:

  1. 100 Burpees!!! Are you crazy!? I remember doing those and they were awful, but way to go! Keep up the craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it was less a burpee and more like falling down and slowly peeling myself off the ground after, say, 15 (and that's being generous). We also had a 100m "sprint" between every 10. That was something between a walk and a delirious jog. It WAS crazy!

    Thanks for reading.:)

    ReplyDelete