Friday, April 20, 2012

even this late

Anyone who has read my blog over time might notice that I sometimes make plans that I don't keep. I won't get into that now, and though I wonder if I should feel guilty for breaking promises, I don't. Yet I do want to share that I've been thinking about this blog, about writing, about what's next. I won't make promises, but there is movement. (Also, I realize it may not matter much to the smattering of readers who come here, but it's exciting to me - so there it is.)

In the meantime, and while I get some more thoughts on paper, I wanted to leave you with this poem from today's Writer's Almanac. They've been featuring some really good ones over there lately. And for the comments: I'd love to hear about your favorite or newly-discovered poets and poems.

"The Coming of Light" by Mark Strand, via here.

Even this late it happens:
the coming of love, the coming of light.
You wake and the candles are lit as if by themselves,
stars gather, dreams pour into your pillows,
sending up warm bouquets of air.
Even this late the bones of the body shine
and tomorrow's dust flares into breath.

(Also, does anybody know if re-printing poems that have been re-printed and citing the source is ok? I'd love to know. I feel like it's a bit iffy...)

1 comment:

  1. Don't underestimate your readers. I'm excited for you!

    Okay, this is silly, but I don't read much poetry...my favorite poet is my cousin, but it's actually been years since I've read something of hers! She went to University of Washington for a poetry program and I've enjoyed picking her brain a little about the writing process. She said some of her peers would only write in the very early hours when they just woke up (like still bleary-eyed and not thinking straight, typing in bed). Or when they were under the influence. : )

    ReplyDelete