Tuesday, September 25, 2012

learning to write

When it comes to improving education, I so often hear of schools focusing on reading and math, or on class size or the length of the school day. The Atlantic is starting a discussion about the impact of students learning to write - and not an easy paragraph on their favorite food, but real analytic writing that argues a point and persuades its readers. The first article made me think about the kind of writing instruction I received and how writing still challenges me to think clearly and put my thoughts down in a structure that makes sense, and with words and grammar that communicate clearly.

What do you think? How did you learn to write, and how did it impact your ability to think, reason and communicate?

PS This talk given to international students at Columbia's Graduate School of Journalism gives terrific advice for writing with clarity and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment