Wednesday, May 7, 2014

polishing the stars

























My sister Andrea sent me this text this morning. Some context: Amelia is her seven-year old daughter and one of the coolest second-graders around (I'm biased, but still...). The maps and water is my other sister, Lori. The poetry and Shel Silverstein is me.

I was a little surprised to hear about Amelia taking the book to school. If you've been following along, you may remember reading about my nieces and nephews opening gifts at Christmas last year, and how they seemed a little disappointed with the seeming dullness of the books I gave them. I didn't necessarily blame them. Books just kinda sit there, looking all rectangle-like and unmoving. There's some work involved in getting to the fun of them.

Anyway, apparently Amelia opened the book and found the fun in the Shel Silverstein book I gave her. I knew she would like it, because like Mr. Silverstein, she is a little goofy and giggly (her laugh is the best), and she also thinks pretty deeply and makes astute observations. Did I tell you that the last time I saw her, she recognized a painting on the cover of one of my books as a Van Gogh? She was six at the time. I know.

So, in honor of Amelia and her budding love for poetry, and just because Shel Silverstein is great (and should still be read by adults), here's one of his poems for you today.


Somebody Has To (from A Light in the Attic)


Somebody has to go polish the stars,
They’re looking a little bit dull.
Somebody has to go polish the stars,
For the eagles and starlings and gulls
Have all been complaining they’re tarnished and worn,
They say they want new ones we cannot afford.
So please get your rags
And your polishing jars,
Somebody has to go polish the stars.
~Shel Silverstein
(via here)

No comments:

Post a Comment