Wednesday, September 14, 2016

literary, lately: travel edition




I have a love/hate relationship with professional conferences. Love: travel to new places, eating out on someone else's dime, staying in hotels (I love a clean bathroom, especially when I'm not the one cleaning it). Hate: spending all day in over-chilled rooms with no windows, uninspiring keynote speakers, networking (i.e. an introvert's hell).

I'm thinking about this because it's happening next week, I'm going to a new city, getting up in front of a lot of people to talk about writing (simultaneously my most exhilarating dream and worst nightmare), and hopefully getting lots of reading done on the flights there and back -- among other things. Here are a few links that are getting me excited about traveling, writing, reading and everything in between.

Listen to what makes your hair stand on end, your heart melt, and your eyes go wide, what stops you in your tracks and makes you want to live, wherever it comes from, and hope that your writing can do all those things for other people. A writing manifesto, in the form of ten tips. Maybe I'll scrap my presentation and just read this to the audience?

Airports are mini-civilizations, governed by their own rules and ritualsOn bookstores in airports. My airport rules: a magazine from those ubiquitous bookstores, peanut m&m's and stretchy pants.

The National Book Award long list selections are being announced this week. I haven't even heard of most of the nonfiction books just announced. Looks like I have some reading to do. Maybe worth an airport book purchase?  Follow along if you're interested...

I go in phases with writing music. Right now, it's this song and every other one from the album. He's, like, the male T.S. I'll probably also be listening to this on my flights. (Don't judge.)

Can't wait to find myself here. (Quick stop over to see my sister!)

***
(photo: NYC skyline, before flight to Kenya)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Betsy! I've been enjoying your blog. Where are you going for the conference? I recently started blogging here again: www.briefnwondrous.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for the link, I'll be reading. :) I love it when you write.

      I'm going to Pittsburgh for work, which I'm actually excited about because I've never been there. Hoping to skip a few sessions to check out the coffee scene and an art museum or something. ;) Then Durham to see my sister and her fam.

      Delete