I sat near Sue on her couch. She had pulled the curtains to
keep the room cool on that hot yellow morning in late October and laid out a platter of fruit and
crackers on the ottoman in front of us.
Across from the couch, on the shelf
under the tv was a row of children’s books, and in the corner a posterboard
decorated with stickers of friendly skulls and witch hats in green, orange and
white – indicators of her nearly four-year-old granddaughter.
Sue lives with her daughter's family. Among Sue’s many roles
is to take her granddaughter to preschool each morning and pick her up each day
at noon. They made those Halloween posterboards together, and I’m guessing they
also read those books and play with Sammy, the small brown dog who laid
sleepily in the corner of the room while Sue and I talked.
I figured Sue was eager to talk about her granddaughter,
and I wanted to know, so I asked. She’s just so creative, Sue said proudly. You
should see what she does with legos. She told me how, every time there’s
another birthday in the extended family, her granddaughter will bring out her
legos and build a cake, complete with characters or figures on top, just like
the Dory figurines that sat atop her cake when she turned three.
It wasn’t the details of the story that got me. Lego cakes
are not that unusual. I have seen a lot of kids do a lot of things with legos.
Instead, it was the way Sue told me, with such conviction that what her granddaughter
created was unmatched and delight in how she sees this young one bringing forth
what is inside her. In that moment, I became the child again, eager to demonstrate
what I can do, eager for a subjective audience who sees me through eyes clouded
with love. Maybe this is the way my Father talks about me, I thought, about the
things I’m writing and about the ways I tried to love people in Kenya and the
new ventures I’m embarking on.
I wanted to sit with this longer, to be the child still, but Sue kept talking, about her granddaughter and all manner of things. I put my
childish desires aside but it came back to me later, when I was alone, and now,
as I sit and write and build and take very seriously what might be clumsy lego
birthday cakes but, to some, seem to change the world.
***
(photo: not Sue's granddaughter)
No comments:
Post a Comment